In a digital space where many pros are called upon to be the strategist and designer, articles like this from Ragan.com are great jumping-off points for stocking your assets arsenal.
My neighbors are doing a bit of remodeling and in the process are trashing old doors from their home. I’ve been taking the doors off of their hands for my own DIY projects. My latest project turned out pretty sweet and it was cheap.
I simply wanted to create a door-top desk for my own childhood nostalgia reasons and because it’s awesome. Here’s how I did it:
- I measured the space I wanted to place my desk. Using a circular saw, I made the appropriate cut across the base of the door. The cut was rough and it wasn’t even all that straight, but for this project beauty is in the eye of the beholder…I think. Let’s be honest, I just wanted to rip through some wood with a saw.
- I cleaned up the door with a medium grade sand paper to remove any loose chipped paint or splinters. I also wanted to rough up the existing paint a little further, so in some areas I used a little more muscle.
- I swept off the door to remove any excess dust or dirt, then I wiped it down using Murphy’s Oil and warm water.
- While the door dried, I ran out to Ikea and scored two of these easy to assemble desk legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80130776/ ($10.00 ea.)
- Simply place the door on top of the legs and BOOM! Ya done good, kid!
If you want to look like a true pro, give a local window & glass company a call to get a piece of glass cut to create a smooth surface for your new awesome desk.
It even worked out that the old key and lock holes will serve as nice throughways for my charger wires and such. Bonus!
A look across the league at player tweets from last night’s Eagles at Redskins Monday Night Football matchup. A lot of love for the Birds last night on Twitter. Kevin Durant was naturally rooting for Washington, so it was only right I included his Twitter reaction below.
Vick is to real !!!!
— Tobias Harris (@tobias31) September 10, 2013
SHADY!!!! DJACK!!!! 7!!!!!!
— Maalik Wayns (@MaalikWayns2) September 10, 2013
— Kobe Bryant (@kobebryant) September 10, 2013
S/O to homie @MikeVick for this show they putting on right now!! Looking like them St. Louis Rams "Greatest Show on Turf" sqad
— LeBron James (@KingJames) September 10, 2013
Wow !!!!!!!! Touchdown. This is Great #Eagles
— Jason Thompson (@jtthekid) September 10, 2013
Mike Vick back!
— James Harden (@JHarden13) September 9, 2013
S/o to my @BrandonBoykin2
— Chris Singleton (@C_SING31) September 9, 2013
Vick going to have a MVP type year in this offense…..
— Shelvin Mack (@ShelvinMack) September 9, 2013
Loving this eagles offense….
— Eric Gordon (@TheofficialEG10) September 9, 2013
Aaayyyyy @DeseanJackson10 ohhhhhh killem.
— Dorell Wright (@DWRIGHTWAY1) September 9, 2013
And as for KD…
— Kevin Durant (@KDTrey5) September 9, 2013